Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bens Finger and other stories

I was trying to put together a budget yesterday and the following story is one reason why I am having a hard time trying to decide how much should be saved for Ben's medical every month :) To start at the beginning, last Friday I had to work. When I went to go get the kids from grandma Tracies house, they were playing in the backyard. Well, Ben came in crying a few minutes later and told me that he smashed his finger with a rock. He could still bend it and it just had a little purple under the nail so I figured that it was the equivilant of smashing a finger in the car door. That was the end of that, or so I thought. Monday I got home from work and grandma Janene had me look at his finger. This is what I saw. White puss building up under the fingernail. I ended up taking him to the dr at 7:10pm cause that was the next appointment, and cause I thought he might need an antibiotic (plus he wouldn't stop crying saying 'ow' over and over and over). We made it to the dr, had a $45 copay cause it was after 5pm, and had the dr tell me that usually infections get puffier than that so I should watch him for a few days and come back if it got worse. Plus he would have to drain it and that would hurt Ben. Totally worth the $45, NOT!

Needless to say we had an aweful night. This was the first time that Ben has not ever gone to sleep, but would just nap for part of the time. The longest I think he slept was 15min while I held him. I gave him medicine every 3-4hrs and even tried benadryl to see if it would help him sleep. (that was when he made it 15min).
By morning time his finger was huge. It looked like a marble on the tip of a stick, ready to explode at any moment. I called the dr and got an appointment with his pediatrition. He couldn't see him until 3:20pm. So I kept up with the medicine and basically held him while he cried. (sad huh) I was a little worried cause there was a red line going down the middle of his finger (think staff infection) so I watched it to see if it was getting longer...you know, spreading to his heart to cause more problems....and waited til the dr appointment.

I was so tired that I fell asleep on the lazyboy chair in the livingroom. Ben climbed up and didn't want to be on the left side of me, so he rolled over, but kept rolling all the way off the side of the chair right onto the floor. When he came back up he had some letters imprinted on his forehead. (See the picture above and look at his forehead) We now refer to him as 'yo'. Shouldn't be funny, but it is :) When he fell, he landed on the lever to make the recliner pop out. That lever has the inscription of 'lazyboy' on it, so Ben apparently hit the 'oy' on the end and got himself a tattoo :)

We made it to the dr and I explained that we were there less than 24hrs ago for the same thing and my dr was ticked. He emailed the CEO and is working on getting my $45 copay back :) He then told me he was going to drain Bens finger. I got the job of holding him down. Ben liked the dr painting his finger with orange soap (betadine) and then wiping it off, but when the dr said now we are going to get all the owies out, Ben started crying and saying 'oh no, no,no'. The dr says he is a smart kid :) I always knew that though :) He then drained it. With the first puncture of the needle puss splattered out and unfortunately got onto my face ewwww!!! Oh well.. I wiped it off .... He had to puncture it in 3 different places to get all the puss out. Ben just kept crying saying 'ban-aid, ban-aid'. The above picture is of his special bandaid. He loved it cause we called it special. I got in the car to go home and he fell right asleep. Poor little guy. Got him medicine to treat a staff infection just in case that is what it was too. First time I gave him the medicine, he puked all over the floor, then a little bit later he got diarrhea..... after that he was normal the rest of the night, jumping, running and teasing his sister :) See why I am having problems with the budget.... hmmm $45 one night then $25 the next day for the same problem...

Onto a happier story, the kids have discovered that they love the Sunday comics! They especially love to have grandpa Grant read them to them. Isabel gives courtesy laughs cause most of the time the comics aren't really that funny!

We went to the Riverdale splash pad last week and Isabel insisted on wearing her goggles :) You know, so she could see under the sprinklers....
Isabel loves the garden. She goes out and checks it every day! She loves to go out and pick a zucchinis! She will bring them into me and tell me that she wants those for dinner! Nice, easy and healthy! Glad she likes them! Brady says that she gets her love of zucchini from him. HA HA HA... only if a cow eats if first :)
Still waiting on tomatoes and peppers from the garden so I can start making salsa! For now zucchini and broccoli is great! Hooray for gardens!














5 comments:

RaNae said...

Been thinking about this all day. It shouldn't be funny, but it is. I hope the yo doesn't scar on his forehead.

kim said...

Nae, it is still there today, but is fading slightly so I am thinking it isn't a scar. Everytime mom sees him she says 'yo'....got to laugh about it :)

Elgan Family said...

Oh my goodness!! That is so sad, you're poor little guy. At least he let you cuddle him...the no sleeping had to be way hard. Sorry you had to go through all of that, but glad it is taken care of. Just another Ben adventure ;)

Jennifer said...

Glad Ben is doing better. Love all the pictures. I love how much Isabel loves to wear her goggles. She is so awesome. Just like her mom...awe :)

Cort said...

I feel your pain on the medical budget. We've been to the Dr. soooooo much this year with Carson and it's all "little" stuff! AND I can't beleive your garden is that productive already. Mine apparently sucks this year.