Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fun with Felt

The kids and I loved the Halloween Advent Calendar so much, that I thought I should do a turkey one for Thanksgiving. The kids get to take a feather off each day and put it in one of the pockets, until the turkey is completely bare of feathers on Thanksgiving day! I had to make 28 feathers to accomodate the change dates for Thanksgiving each year! I love how he turned out. The letters I did aren't my favorite, but the rest I love! I made the turkey puffy, like a stuffed animal and just saftey pinned him on. I originally tried to velcro him on, but he kept disappearing...... The feathers are all made of felt, but I cut fall-ish looking material to sew on top. I left about a 1/4 inch around each and made little cuts to make them look more like feathers. I love how it turned out. (Somethimes I wonder if the things I see in my head will really look cute...this one worked I think)
I have the felt out, and decided that since I have a ton of orange felt left over from these past 2 projects, I should make something for the kids. I covered a heavy piece of cardboard with orange felt, making their own personal flannel boards. Then I cut out a bunch of easy shapes, so they could use them to create stuff with.
Isabel made a house, a man sleeping in a sleeping bag, a christmas tree, etc

Ben made a train and put people in it. (I put the 2 rectangles down and he did the rest)

They played with them for quite a while which let them be close to me while I was working on stuff! I'm thinking this will be a great church toy too! It's quiet!


I glued a pocet on the back and put their names on it. This is to hold all of the shapes. My next thought is to get some notecards and draw ideas (tanagrams?) and see if they can make them. That part could take me awhile. Until then, they can play with these! Isabel thinks they are magic because the material sticks without glue or tape :) Mommies are magic!

No comments: